Stitchmap Challenge - Victorian Pin Cushion - Part 3
Making the Gum Nuts.
Reading through the instructions in the magazine, I first made my gumnuts. They are made up of 6 stranded cotton, and a wooded bead.
Hubby gave me some small files and so I've been able to make the centre hole larger, to fit more thread through.
This was where my fingers get a little sore, as I'm holding the tread fairly tight, and they just get stiff from not moving too much.
I wrap the bead until it's totally covered. Here is one I experimented on first. I used brown beads, so that if I didn't totally cover the bead with thread, the bead would not be that noticeable.
Once the whole bead was covered I then stitched button hole around the top and continued for a couple of rounds to get the end of the gumnut right.
Here are my finished three gumnuts, this took me about 2 hours to make these three.
The gumnut blossoms were a bit more of a challenge, as I wanted them to be soft, but still stiff enough to stay in position, I also didn't want them to be flat on the background fabric. So I made them up like you do when you make pom poms.
Then cut the stranded cotton of the card, and soaked it in a solution of pva glue and water.
Waited for them to dry and trimmed the edges, seperating the threads with a pin I fanned them out. I then painted the tips with yellow acrylic paint and them let them to dry a day more.
Making the leaves were easier, they were drawn onto fabric, thread laid down, and couched into position, then sewn around the edge with a slanted chain stitch,
I then cut them out ready to be placed on the cushion.