Tuesday 19 April 2011

Luscious Lace RR - Nicki's block

I love birds, but when it came to this block boy did I have a mental block, literally.  I found a lace motif that suited the block, but what else to add was my dilemma.  So I emailed Nicki to see if it was alright to add a stump work beetle to her block (I had to make sure it wasn't going to be washed you see).
So here is the full block, and more eye candy as you scroll down, with explanations.
Here is a close up of the Butterfly, silk ribbon and a double whipped chain body.

The beetle which is made of beads, his body is padded with felt, and then I satin stitched it, and then half way down I added buttonhole needle lace. Enhanced with a few more beads on his body.  Added a beaded head and detached chain for his legs.

And the back of him....

The next element was the lace motif, enhanced with beads and a spider in his web.

A blue feather, not from the birds of course, but to keep with the same colourings as the lace. Nylon thread, pain in the butt to work with.
now onto my next project....

Hearts for Sendi block.....

TTFN
Arlene

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I am totally impressed with your beetle, Arlene. He is magnificent!

gocrazywithme said...

Arlene, your beetle is incredible! You just keep making them better and better! I love them!

Pam said...

Arlene I just love your beetle. Are you going to teach us how you made it? I would be the first one in line? You do fabulous work. Thank you for sharing. Pam G